Lazy Sunday Chili

 My family has had a Sunday dinner tradition for decades, going back into my childhood.  As an adult, I started the same tradition with my family because it is just so easy!  By having the same menu every Sunday, I don’t have to think or figure anything out, and preparation is a breeze.  I have many friends we have invited over for Sunday dinner throughout the years.  Every once in a while, one of them will mention that they remember having dinner with us, and I always ask if they remember what we ate…and it’s always our Sunday baked potato bar.  So predictable!!

All I do is start a crock pot of beans in the morning, turn it into chili after the beans are soft, bake some potatoes while the chili is cooking, and gather up any other toppings we want.  Then for dinner, we have the baked potatoes, load it up with chili, shredded cheese, and all of the goodies for a smothered baked potato.  Easy and delicious!


Lazy Sunday Chili

(Enough to serve 8 when loaded on baked potatoes)

1 1/2 cups raw pinto beans
4 1/2 cups water

1 cup freeze-dried ground beef
1/2 cup freeze dried chopped onion
1/2 cup dehydrated mixed bell peppers
1/4 cup freeze-dried green chili peppers
3 Tbsp. tomato powder
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
(optional) 1 can diced tomatoes

Rinse pinto beans, then place in crock pot with 4 1/2 cups water.  (If I’m short on time, I use hot water to give the crock pot a head start.)  Cook in the crock pot on high for about 3 hours, or on low for about 5-6 hours, or until beans are soft.  Once beans are soft, add remaining ingredients to the crock pot.  Add extra water if needed.  Cook on low for another 30-60 minutes, or until you’re ready to eat.

Serve on top of baked potatoes, or just eat in a bowl!  Enjoy!

Have questions?  Here’s a handy little tutorial I made for you on this recipe:



Please be kind!  I spent hours writing up this recipe with all of the details to share with you.  If you’re going to share the recipe with others, please credit the recipe to me, by linking back to my blog. Don’t present this recipe as something you created yourself.  Thanks!


Comments