Beef Stroganoff & Noodles in a Jar

 I like stroganoff and have eaten it my entire life.  When I grew up and started cooking on my own, I found there were several variations to stroganoff - some I liked, and some I didn't like.  I settled on a variation that I made for many years, until I discovered all sorts of shortcuts I could take using freeze dried ingredients.  Then I got thinking that this would make an excellent one pot meal if I pre-measured all of the ingredients into a jar.  That way, we could have an instant dinner, or take it camping or on a vacation to save on eating out every meal.  This recipe has become a staple in our family now.  We took this with us on our annual camping trip last year, and my husband said it was the best dinner he had ever had on a campout!  In fact, just last week he was getting ready to travel for work, and requested this meal for his trip so that he wouldn't have to eat out.  Sometimes I don't always have the ingredients pre-measured into a jar, so I'll try and revert back to the "old fashioned" way of cooking from scratch.  Inevitably, I wind up falling back on half of my freeze dried ingredients as I'm cooking, because it just is so much easier and faster!





Beef Stroganoff & Noodles in a Jar

By Sabrina Winder – serves 4

1 cup freeze-dried Beef Slices
1 cup freeze-dried mushroom slices
½ cup freeze-dried onion slices
½ cup sour cream powder
2 tsp. tomato powder
¼ cup espagnole sauce blend (Beef gravy mix)
1 tsp. beef bouillon
1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. peppercorn seasoning
1 ½ cup egg noodles

Layer all ingredients in the order listed into a wide-mouth quart sized mason jar. Once you get to where all of the ingredients except the noodles are in the jar, it will look really full.  Smack the side of the jar, allowing all of the powdered ingredients to settle down between the pieces of mushrooms and onions.  Then there will be room at the top of the jar to cram in the noodles.  I don't even worry about measuring the noodles at that point - I just cram in as much as I can fit.


Jar on the left: everything measured in, before shaking the powdered ingredients down.

Jar on the right: after shaking the powdered ingredients down, there is room for noodles on top.


Place an oxygen absorption packet in the top of the jar, then put on a new lid and ring. Attach a label with quick reference cooking instructions to the lid (download below). Store away from light and heat to ensure a longer shelf life.


Cooking instructions:

Remove oxygen packet, then dump contents of the jar in a saucepan with 4 cups cold water and let sit for 10 minutes. (Don't skip this soaking step or you'll be sorry!  The meat needs time to soak up the water to have a good texture.)  Bring to a boil on the stove, then turn stove down to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional water if necessary.  Enjoy!




Please be kind!  I spent hours working on this recipe to share with you.  If you're going to share the recipe with others, please credit the recipe to me, by linking back to my blog. Don't present this recipe as something you created yourself.  Thanks!

Comments